Oxalate is the organic molecule, commonly found in both plants and the human body. As per many research, it has been declared the high oxalate is responsible for the kidney stones.
One more fact about this molecule is it binds the minerals, which leads to lowers the absorption of minerals inside the body. Many of the diets contain oxalic acid, it is not possible to ignore all of them in your daily life. On the other hand, these diets also have many benefits. A good way is to limit the rich oxalic acid food in your routine.
Most of the kidney stones are made up of Calcium Oxalate. Here, we are going to give you all the information to prevent kidney stones by avoiding food rich in oxalic acid.
What is Oxalate?
While many humans make their own perception of oxalic acid, these are the non-essential components of food. But naturally occurring molecules play an important role in the metabolism process of both animals and plants.
The molecular formulae of oxalic acid are C2H2O4. The breakdown of dehydroascorbic acid and glyoxylate leads to the formation of oxalates. These molecules are not soluble in our intestine, which is the reason for the accumulation of oxalic acid salt.
Moreover, it is the main reason for the low calcium level in the body. Oxalic acid binds with calcium molecules and forms the calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals create a problem in the absorption of calcium in the body, which is the reason for various diseases such as rickets and osteomalacia.
Food Rich in High Oxalic Acid Increase the Risk of Kidney Stones
The function of the kidney is the removal of waste of blood through the urine. Sometimes, when the accumulation of waste is higher in the kidney and lower the amount of fluid in the blood, which causes the formation of high oxalic acid salt which further makes the formation of kidney stones.
A kidney stone is formed due to the waste deposited inside the wall of the kidney. They are also known as nephrolithiasis. Certain diets and supplements such as food rich in oxalic acid are among the main cause of kidney stones.
A kidney stone forms when a big amount of certain minerals gathered in the urine and the urine becomes thicker due to lack of hydration.
Too much amount of oxalic acid salt makes the crystals of Calcium oxalate. As per the various study, it has been found that calcium oxalate is the most common type of stone, which appears in the kidney. Oxalic acid is generally found in green vegetables. If you are having more food rich in oxalic acid, and very low consumption of water then you are at higher risk of having kidney stones.
Calcium Oxalates Stones
Calcium Oxalate is the most common type of stone mostly found in the kidney. In addition to this, oxalic acid-rich food such as beans, spinach, chocolate, etc, increases the level of oxalates in our body. A higher amount of oxalic acid salt and a lower amount of fluid in the blood accumulate the waste product in the kidney, which is the reason for kidney stones.
However, you can prevent the calcium oxalate crystals formation by drinking lots of water and adding low oxalic acid food in your diet.
When you eat oxalate-rich food, the food undergoes a metabolic process in the GI tract. The nutrients are absorbed by the body and oxalates are left as the waste material, which is supposed to excrete through the urine. But few of them bind with the calcium and deposited at the sidewall of kidneys
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
- It can cause severe cramping inside the stomach
- Sometimes, you will feel pain in your back or side.
- Frequent pain at the lower abdomen
- Burning pain while urination
- A color change in urine
- The foul smell while urinating
- Urination more than the usual
- Small urine discharge
- Fever, Vomiting, and Nausea
- Blood while urination
Causes of Calcium Oxalate Stones
The chemical substance present in the urine prevents oxalate from sticking at the wall of the kidney. However, if you are having less than the required amount of fluid, you are prone to having these calcium oxalate stones.
- Mental Breakdown – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, & Prevention
- Gabapentin for Anxiety – Panic Attacks, Uses & Side Effects
- Flea Bites – Symptoms, Types, Risk, Causes & Treatment
Reasons for having Calcium Oxalate Stones
- Not having an adequate amount of fluid like water
- Having a meal that is too high in oxalate and low in calcium.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Diagnosis of Kidney Stones
Your doctor may ask you to go under the following tests to diagnose Kidney Stones.
- Urine Test. In this test, your doctor requires a sample of urine. For this, you must have to collect the sample of urine in a clean bottle throughout the day at least for 24hrs. A level of more than 45-milligram oxalic acid in the urine will declare the stones.
- Blood Test. A blood test is helpful in understanding the health of the kidney. Apart from this, it diagnoses the amount of calcium and urea present in the blood. this test may help your doctor to know the health conditions and kidney stones.
- CT scan. This is the best way to know about the stones, which are residing in the kidney. Besides CT scan, Ultrasound is also one of the imaginary diagnosis machines, which gives quick results about calcium oxalate crystals.
Prevention of Kidney Stones with Low- Oxalate Diet
Diet rich in oxalic acid increases the chances of kidney stones. After absorption of nutrients oxalate produces as the waste product, which subsequently binds with the calcium. However, too much oxalic acid can not excrete from the urine.
Here we are providing you, all the information related to low- oxalic acid diet and their benefits.
High Oxalates Reduce the Mineral Absorption
An increased level of oxalate reduces mineral absorption. It binds with the minerals in the gut lowers their absorption process.
For e.g, Spinach is in rich of both calcium and oxalic acid, but due to oxalic acid, calcium doesn’t absorb perfectly in the gut. Apart from this, if you take spinach along with milk it then milk calcium is not affected by oxalic acid ion present in the spinach.
What is a Low-Oxalates diet?
A person who is at high risk of having a kidney stone, he must add a diet low in oxalic acid salt in their food. Lowering the amount of oxalic acid salt may help to reduce the chances of calcium oxalate stones.
However, increasing the calcium-rich diet along with the oxalate diet is the better way to eliminate the high amount of oxalic acid salt from the body.
Causes of High Oxalates
High oxalic acid in food and high vitamin C is the reason for increasing oxalate in the body. Moreover, frequent uses of antibiotics and previous history of diseases such as Diabetes, Bowel disease can be a major cause of high oxalate in the body.
A group of bacteria is known as Oxalobacter formigenes, helps to reduce the high oxalic acid salt while the absorption process. They reside in the large intestine and use oxalic acid salt as their source of energy. Lowering the number of these bacteria increases the oxalic acid level in the body.
A minimum requirement oxalic acid level intake per day should not more than 500mg/day. If you consume more than the required amount of oxalic acid in your diet, it will be a reason for high oxalate.
How can We Prevent High Oxalates?
A person has a high risk of kidney stones, they are suggested to have less amount of oxalic acid in their food. High oxalic acid in food is the major cause of the formation of stones
Here a list of precautions, which you can take to prevent yourself from kidney stones.
- Drink plenty of fluid. A high amount of fluid intake reduces the oxalic acid salt level in your body. A minimum requirement of fluid is 2.5lt/day, which is essential to maintain a healthy life.
- Have Calcium Rich Food. A minimum requirement of calcium per day is 800-1200mg/day. This is because oxalic acid binds with calcium and lowers their absorption in the body.
- Boil the Vegetable. Boiling is the best way to eliminate the oxalic acid from food by 40 percent. You must boil all the food, which contains high oxalic acid.
List of food low in oxalic acid
- Cheese is rich in calcium, which increases the calcium absorption in the body
- Yogourt is another major source of calcium.
- Broccoli is also the main source of calcium and contain very low amount of oxalic acid.
High oxalic acid salt in your body can cause many health problems such as kidney stones and lower the absorption of minerals. But you can solve this problem of high oxalic acid salt in your body by approaching a high intake of fluid. This is not possible to avoid all high oxalic acid food because along with oxalic acid they also carry many benefits. You can start having calcium-rich food to maintain your healthy life.
Which food contains high oxalic acid?
Spinach, Rhubarb, Chips, Fries, etc. are the few lists of high oxalic acid food. You should avoid it or you can take it with high calcium food.
What does high oxalic acid do in your body?
High oxalic reduces the absorption of minerals and calcium. However, the binding of the calcium with oxalic acid increases the chances of kidney stones and UTI.
How do you flush out the oxalates level?
You can reduce the level of high oxalates by following these steps.
- Limit having high oxalic acid-rich food.
- You should have more calcium-rich diet that helps you to bring down the oxalate level
- Drink plenty of water at least 2.5lt/day
- Add the right amount of protein in your diet.
- Lower the intake of the high amount of sodium
Is coffee in high in oxalic acid salt?
This drink is known as a diuretic that is responsible for excretion. This does not contain a high level of oxalic acid. If you are prone to UTI you can take it for make yourself refresh.