Fleas are typical small-size bugs. Although flea bites can also cause further itching and irritation. Apart from animals and plants, there are more than 2500 spices of fleas present on the earth. Flea bites can transmit tapeworms and bacteria. Mostly fleas have small and brown flat bodies. They are also known as parasite
Fleabites have severe symptoms of itching and swelling around the bite area. You can treat flea bite with home remedies and for sever problems you must consult with your doctor.
What are flea bites and how does it look like?
Here we are going to provide all details about the fleas, flea bite, symptoms, prevention, and the treatment.
Fleas lay eggs and this can create more mess. Although You can get trap into bigger problems if you ignore the early symptoms of fleas. Moreover getting your home rid of these insects can be a tedious and difficult task. They often become more of a problem if you have animals like dogs in your home.
One can eradicate fleas especially with the treatment of dogs if they have an infection, and cleaning the surrounding areas. How much success you get in this depends on how properly you use the eradication method.
Different Symptoms of Flea Bites
Some of the symptoms are here. You can easily detect them.
- The area of the flea bites is very itchy.
- The skin around maybe each bite is becoming very painful.
- The rashes develop near the bite side.
- Especially if you are scratching a lot then it can cause bacterial infections around the bite area.
Since you are aware of the symptoms, find the symptoms that you will see immediately after their bite:
- Red spots
- You can see swellings around the bite.
Especially if you are very sensitive to flea bites then you can face many allergic symptoms, such as:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Swelling of lips or tongue
Find how the Flea Bites Look Like?
Small red dots or clusters are the major sightings that you can see after flea bites. Flea bites can be commonly seen on the ankle, feet, and lower legs.
In case, if anyone is having any allergy to flea bites then he can surely see larger areas of redness and small bumps.
The redness after the flea bites can last from a few days to several days. Moreover, this is also dependent on how much the person scratches the infected parts.
Some Facts about Fleas bugs
- Fleas have a very flexible life. The life cycle can be divided into 4 stages and one stage changes to another when they get favorable conditions.
- This lifestyle makes the flea eradication difficult. If you eradicate the adult fleas then you might get the next generation that is waiting to take up the reins.
- Treating your pet is not enough when you are eradicating fleas infection. You have to clean the entire surrounding, especially where eggs and pupae are hiding.
- According to research, fleas can survive a long time without getting food. The pupae can survive in cocoons for a year.
- A female flea can lay up to 50 eggs per day that creates the problem as their number grows very fast. This can lead to major infection and eradication may become difficult.
- If you have any indoor pets, they are not safe from the flea bites.
- Your pets can develop an allergy to flea bites and at one point, it may become difficult to control the itching.
- Fleas are the carrier of diseases and so they can impact humans. They can also transmit disease and affect humans.
- Fleas also carry parasites and can cause more problems.
- In the case of high infections, fleas can make animals sick. In many cases, fleas carry host blood that can make the hosts ill.
Can flea bites damage the human body?
For people, the danger of getting another ailment from the bug is exceptionally little. The wound after scratching leads to more problems as more bacteria can come into your body because the wound after the flea bite is open.
It is very dangerous for people who are sensitive. It is especially problematic for people who have difficulty in breathing and face body swelling in a very quick time.
Know where a flea resides?
The fleas feed on humans. They feed on the warm-blooded body but they also dine on hairy animals like raccoons, mice, rats, rabbits, dogs, and cats.
Find how to prevent flea-bites infection
You can take the following steps to ensure that you do not face any flea bites infection.
The area surrounding the house:
- Maintain a neat and clean home. Also, practice good sensitization methods.
- Clean and vacuum carpets, furniture, floors and remove flea infection if you find any.
- Do lawn mowing regularly.
Proper pet care
- Carefully check pets’ coats properly to see if there is any flea bites infection.
- Keep your pets clean and you can also bath your pets to ensure that they do not have any infection.
- Pet bedding and other pet items must be kept clean.
- Consult a veterinary doctor if you find any fleas bites around your pet.
Diseases Caused by the flea bites
There are multiple diseases caused by flea bites. It is very dangerous. Here are some diseases listed below-
The most popular and dangerous disease that is transmitted from the fleas is bubonic plague. In the 14th century, it killed nearly 25 million people and so it is also known as the black death.
This is a very rare disease which is caused by the rat infected area where the fleas bite them and after that, they bite other animals and humans.
The fleas cause many allergies and some of them are caused by their saliva. The saliva of the fleas damages the skin. There are rashes on the skin and it starts itching. Some people cause breathing problems when they inhale fleas and are also suffering from asthma.
- Tachycardia – Types, Causes, Symptoms, Test & Treatment
- Sulfur Burps – Causes, Treatment, Prevention, and Remedies
Different Types of fleas that are Responsible for Flea Bites
There are different types of fleas. The most common and well-known fleas species are given below-
These fleas are the most common and usually found on cats and dogs. The cat fleas can easily live without eating food for some months. These fleas grow in the four-phase life cycle egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
The life of these fleas is near about 1 and 2 weeks. Some of them live near about 1 year but it depends upon the temperature and the humidity level.
Ctenocephalides canis is another name of the dog fleas. These fleas are very rare in the US and most of the fleas are found in Europe. The dog fleas bite the human but they always prefer to take the dog’s blood. The male fleas can easily survive without food for many months but the female fleas require the blood meal at the time of laying the egg.
Prevention from Flea Bites
You can take the following steps to remove this issue:
Throw the dust bag from the vacuum cleaners after you are done using it.
Keep the area clean and regularly clean the furniture, floors, bed sheets, pillows, cushions, etc.
Keep your pets clean and treat the pets with only recommended anti-flea medications.
Find How to Reduce Itching After Flea Bites
- Take an antihistamine to reduce itching after a flea bite
- Use a steroid cream to minimize itching
- Calamine lotion, antiseptic creams can also be a great option to minimize itching
- You can also apply aloe vera to the affected area
- Apply a cold compress to the area that causes the vessels to constrict and help to numb the area. This provides relief from itching
- Wash the affected area properly and make it clean. Always go for cold water as warm water can cause more itching.
Note:-Ayurveda and other home remedies to keep fleas away from the human. It can also reduce the itching problem after the flea bite
Here are some home remedies for controlling the flea bite, itching, and swelling-
- One good way to protect yourself is to wear full sleeves clothes and cover your body as much as you can. The lesser the area exposed, the lesser the chances of flea bites.
- Lemon juice is flea resistant. You can dilute the juice with water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Lemongrass, Pennyroyal, Geranium repel fleas. Dab them into your skin and you can also spray them on your clothes to avoid the issue.
- Take an ice pad or ice cube and rap into the cloth and apply it on the biting surface.
- Apply aloe Vera gel that helps to remove the redness and swelling.
- Apply the lotion which consists of alcohol and also contains the extract of witch hazel plant that helps to control the itching.
- Direct rubbing the plain alcohol on the biting surface makes the biting surface dry.
- Also, get temporary relief from applying the white vinegar.
- Applying oil of tea trees gets relief from itching.
Keep your home and surroundings clean and maintain good hygiene that can prevent the cause and spread of flea bites.
What does a flea bite look like?
Flea bites generally cause itching and small red spots. The rashes will develop around the infected area. Sometimes bite may cause pain. You may feel like scratching it more. Mostly the bites are seen around the ankle, lower feet, and open hand area.
How do you treat flea bites on humans?
Two ways to treat flea bites on human
Ayurveda treatment:- This may help you to get rid from flea bites. You can apply natural remedies as first aid around the affected area. Aloe Vera and Tea tree oil may reduce the swelling, itching, and redness. Moreover, you can use also the icepacks to treat the swelling and redness.
Medical Treatment:- Sometimes, flea bites can cause severe injury. In that case, you must visit the physician for proper remedies. Antihistamines are one of the best medicine for the reduction of swelling, itching, and redness. Apart from this, your physician will prescribe you antiseptic lotion like hydrocortisone( ani-itch) to apply at the injured area.
Can flea bites make you sick?
Yes, sometimes fleas are susceptible to carry very harmful diseases like bubonic plague and murine typhus. In that case, you must consult with the physician.