The server is a functional device. In this article, we will discuss about what is server, its types, purpose, advantages and disadvantages. Various elements of server provide access to client to store, retrieve and share the data.
What is Server?
Server is a major computer program that provides functionality to other devices and programs.A computer program provides programming functionality to all other devices or programs connected to your system. It provides various functionalities including sharing data, resources and computation of data.
It is a very vast field itself. It is because, different kinds of computer servers are available for solving various problems. Moreover, it provides higher functionality to all programs and devices.
Different Types of Servers
It has many functions and roles to play. So, on the basis of these functions and needs, it can be classified into different kinds. It also provides ease to the user to select the best and most suitable host. Such as:
1. Application server
The application host has the role to run applications to support the functioning of the client computer. As well as, it runs intensive applications stored and shared by a number of clients. Even so, it installs, removes and maintains the software’s on any commercial system.
The user can approach an application through this host. Even without having to install the same in on their computers. In fact, the main client of this server is any computer with a web browser.
- It provides a centralized configuration.
- It provides access to the entire database with security benefits. Moreover it takes responsibility for authentication of an insecure client.
- The user can get entry to updated data.
- Therefore, it improves the performance of the client computer.
- It takes a lot of time to develop application software.
- Moreover, it may carry the real threat of viruses or malicious programs.
2. Catalog Server
A catalog program provides the list of information, data or programs stored on the network. In other words, it is an indexed computer system. That provides indexes of database, information, files and programs. That is available by searching even a related keyword.
This program contains the catalog in the form of lists of all the websites or data stored on the network. Whereas, the data could be anything. Like computers, users, files and web apps. It should be noted that, the client of this type of huge device is any program. That needs the information about domain member, email address or file.
- The major benefit is it provides access to global data.
- In addition, it provides a replica of domain-containing the specific information to locate easily.
- It doesn’t provide the exact location.
- The links of the index can be broken and unavailable at the moment.
3. Communication Server
The communication computer system is open in nature. It also carries common platforms for various communication platforms. As it specifically operates communication applications only to allow communication. But at the same time, it provides much flexibility, openness and carrier-grade to conduct a focused communication.
The communication program is mainly used to build a network of infrastructure elements. The deployment elements are IP Multimedia Subsystem, Wireless broadband and IPTV.
- It reduces the number of interfaces needed.
- It also needs less maintenance and documentation as well.
- The security will be less.
- The structure of this host is expensive.
4. Computing server
The computing system provides the functionality to the computer. It is driven by the computer program. Consequently, it provides access to various services, data, programs, etc.
This is mainly in use to provide a wide variety and vast amount of resources. For example CPU and RAM over the internet connection. Any computer system requires more CPU and RAM power. So, we can get access to this computer system.
- It provides access to a large amount of data and programs.
- The computing system provides resources to improve the functioning and performance of the system.
- The cost of this high utility host is high.
- This program sometimes fails in the transition.
Its uses for database applications to provide access to the database and all the programs to the requiring computer system. The user computer can get access either through a front end program or the back end. The host provides access to central as well as primary locations.
Purpose of Database
The major purpose of this computer system is to provide access to all types of databases. Moreover, the most widely used database is spreadsheets, software like asset management and accounting.
Advantages of Database
- This provides better performance and wide scalability.
- The database system provides automatic recovery of the database to the client.
Disadvantages of Database
- The data can get malicious.
- The hackers can steal the confidential database.
5. Game server
The Gaming computer system provides access to event multiplayer video games. To function the game, the system demands huge internal storage. While it allows users the access video games in proper format and with high speed.
The gaming system provides key to gaming devices. Therefore, it gives multiplayer video gaming experience to the gamers. The major clients of this hosts are personal computers and gaming consoles.
- The additional support of the program optimizes the gaming experience.
- Hence, the system improves gaming performance.
- This takes lots of time and money to invest.
- Besides, the gaming computer does not provide any security to the client.
Next section is about Advantages and Disadvantages of Server.
Advantages of a Servers
The advantages of a Server computer are:
- seamless connectivity (remote and email), collaboration,
- speed, and automated backups.
Disadvantages of Servers
These are the server disadvantages
- They often appear when the site experiences a significant surge in traffic as a result of resource conflict with other customers of the firm providing the service.
- Customization of the hosting service is not possible at this time.
- It is possible for the host to get overloaded, causing the site to go offline.
- If you’re running an e-commerce shop that stores credit card information on its own hosts, the system won’t show up in your results.
How to choose the best server?
To choose the best suitable server, you need to consider various factors. In this case, you have to evaluate features. Even the pros and cons of all types of servers. Experts generally suggest evaluating the security capabilities. Other than this, detection and recovery features to protect data in rest and in flight.
In spite of this, you also have to analyze your choice. On the basis of internal storage and disk types. Because you may see that,it has a remarkable influence on the input/ output and resilience of your system.
What is the server room?
The server room is a dedicated room for the particular server. The uninterrupted process of the host is supported by various elements. Such as hardware, racks, power, fire protection, cabling, UPS, etc. Just imagine, a one-room requires a fully air-conditioned environment. Then, what would be the temperature of the entire data center? It is the complete building devoted to various server rooms.
How a server works?
A server is a big and very powerful computer system. So, when you search for anything on any browser or type URL to visit any website. Your computer communicates to the server and retrieves data for you. Just imagine, your computer has a huge database and it asks for a server. Then, can you think how huge would be the host?
What is the main role or purpose of the server?
The main function of the host is to store, retrieve and transfer. All the files or databases to other computers on the network. In fact, it acts as a primary computer. Providing access to information through secondary or commercial computers. It has huge storage, memory and processing power.
Benefits of a Servers
The Server Benefits are:
2. Seamless Connectivity
4. Automated Backups
Limitations of a Server
Host customization is impossible. The site may go down if the Host becomes overburdened at some point.